The Dozer: Life and Times

Friday, October 14, 2005

Pandemic! Celebration! Bitches!

Pandemic! Epidemic! Run get your vaccine! Bird Flu! Yet another flue season, and yet another call for vaccines.

The whole “bird flu” doesn’t scare me. I figure if I stay away from having sex with birds, and I cook my chicken, I’ll be alright. No need for vaccine. Something tells me the whole vaccine business is exactly that- a business. I can’t see the flu killing a perfectly health human like myself. In fact, bring on the flu. I want the flu. I think I even want the bird flu. Just to prove I can beat that shit.

Consider this: the last “pandemic” was the Spanish flu way back in 1918. It killed a paltry 50 million people worldwide- 50,000 in Canada. To date there has been well under 100 cases of bird flu worldwide. Hardly enough to get me off the internet and into the doctors’ office to get a needle in my arm.

All this seems to be classic fear mongering- mostly by the American government/ media (notice they are one and the same). A quick glance around random periodicals from around the globe tells me the rest of the world is not as concerned about this as us Westerners.



I love the little stickers they put on gas pumps telling you that gas stations only profit 3% per litre sold. Fucking bullshit. What sane individual would get into a business with the profit margin so low? You’re telling me that Abdah who owns the Petro-Can down the road profits about $1.50 when I fill up my car? He would have to fill up an awful lot of cars to make a living.

There is no doubt the bulk of oil profits are made by big business somewhere along the line in the refining process, but I think the retailers are understating their end of the profit.  

I was at a gas station 2 weekends ago and was surprised to see 19” LCD monitors on every pump spewing advertising. This station also had a nice new fancy sign with a digital gas price display.  Obviously, there is abit of synergy involved with owning a gas station and a convenience store together, and advertising $.69 chocolate bars on a 19’ LCD would help you recoup some of the loses on the initial investment, but this is ridiculous. Don’t cry 3% profit to justify your gas hikes then outfit your pumps with thousands of dollars worth of needless electronics.

~The “What Would You Say” Dozer